Saturday, January 23, 2016

The First Weeks of Props


When I started on props I was extremely nervous because I’ve only ever acted before. But I was excited to have the responsibility of putting together an equally vital part of the production. Even though we are still in the beginning weeks of Almost, Maine I’ve learned a lot about what it means to be a leader and the importance of organization.


The first step for props was to create a giant list of each prop listed in the script along with the page number, the character, the cost, where it could be found, etc. Going through the script I spent a lot of time thinking about how the director’s concept needs to fit into each scene. Throughout the script I marked where we could use props that would help convince the audience that these characters truly live on this set; therefore, the props had to reflect the idea of “lived in.”

Allyson Goodman, Madison Ogg, and Travis Cooper


I realized right away that in order to be successful in shopping and presenting ideas at production meetings that my work would have to be clearly put together. By organizing each prop into a spreadsheet I, and the rest of the production team, can follow my thought processes throughout the entire play. This has already proved helpful when we went shopping for the first time. In the middle of a thrift store it’s very easy to get distracted by all the knick-knacks and antiques, so having a concise list of everything that needs to get done has helped me know exactly what has to be found in each store so we can get in and out efficiently. I never realized before how hard it can be for the head of each team to keep everyone on track. In past years, as just a member of a team, I viewed shopping as mainly a time to just have fun while looking around. After just one shopping trip, now as head, I understand how key it is for the leader to keep everyone on task and know at all times what’s going on.


Altogether, while nervous about the challenges ahead and upholding my part in the production to my best ability, I’m happy I get the chance to contribute to a whole different aspect of theater that I haven’t experienced before. Props is a “treasure hunt” and I’m excited about discovering more about what it means to be on a production team.


Allyson Goodman
Properties Production Leader

No comments:

Post a Comment