Saturday, January 28, 2017

Blocking to Memorizing

This week we finished our blocking, which was a lot of fun. Blocking means that we went through and put down actions into our words. We write out where we are moving and with what lines. It does more than that though. Blocking is really helpful because it gives a chance to run the scenes with our scripts to give us a chance to look at it before we have to go off memorizing our lines.

In teen shows, or pretty much Story Theater Company production, the kids get to pick the blocking with the director. We get to help suggest things, we get to be the naysayer, and we get to question what Vivian is doing. Though most of the time Vivian has it right on the nose, we sometimes don’t feel it works and we want to change something, we have the opportunity.

On top of the blocking, the next step is memorization and that is one of the hardest parts. There are so many different ways to memorize. The best way that I have found is repetition. You read through it and say what you know, and when you get stuck, you look back at the script and keep going.

We didn’t have rehearsal this week, so I have taken this time to look over the other plays and to memorize. I have a big scene where I stand up to my father Creon because he sentenced my fiance to death. I have a big monologue. The thing I need to do most right now is to go over it with Josh. I can memorize the monologue pretty easily, but it’s harder to memorize a conversation where lines go back and forth. We are on our way to having this play in the bag.

-Travis Cooper
Haemon/Eddie, Lead Set Designer

No comments:

Post a Comment