Thursday, February 8, 2018

Backstage and Onstage

One of the things that is most unique about the teen show is the opportunity to expand and learn new skills. Not only can you act on stage and learn theater skills in a professional atmosphere, you also get hands on experience of building the show in all aspects. The opportunities offered are things such as set, props, costume, hair and makeup, lighting, dramaturgy,  and stage managing. I started the teen show experience with Almost, Maine. I was an actor and a member of the props team. The next year, during Our Antigone, I was an actor and lead set designer. This year, I am an actor and lead set designer yet again.


I find that once you become familiar onstage, it is a whole new experience working offstage. Working with props taught me problem solving skills and creativity. Becoming a team leader was a totally different experience for me. Not only did I learn set, I learned budget, time management, and cooperation with other teams. You never stop learning with the teen shows. Different shows require very different things from each team. The Antigone set was very different from the Twelve Angry Jurors set. Though most of the time, the set is listed out in stage description, there is always room for creativity with the help of my amazing set team.

.
Set Waffles minus Gerrit. From Left to right: James, Madison, Sarah, Travis

The thing I am excited for this year that is different from other shows is the simplicity of this set. We are working in the 50’s era, so technology and such isn’t nearly as advanced. The black box theater also adds an up-close and personal atmosphere so that the audience can pay attention to minute details in set, props, costumes, etc. The simplicity of this set allows for attention to detail. This is a simple jury room. It has simple things such as a working water cooler, a clock, a table, 12 chairs, and an opening window. Oh, and you can’t forget the trash can.

A bonus I have is being a part of the rehearsal process as an actor. I get to see what each character is going to be doing with the set, I get to see problems that might occur, and I get to fix them. The teen show is an altogether amazing learning experience.


Travis Cooper
Juror 2/Set Designer

No comments:

Post a Comment