Wednesday, February 21, 2018

Libby Gens

12 Angry Jurors is a show very different than any other show I’ve been a part of -- different in a good way, I promise. When I first read this script, I was blown away by the playwright. This story is written so intelligently and I believe covers a topic we ought to hear more about. This story gives us all an idea of what actually goes on in the “unbiased” jury room. And gives us a much clearer definition on what guilty beyond a reasonable doubt actually means.

With all that being said, this wasn’t an easy rehearsal process to go through. This show takes place in 1950s New York City, where a group of New York citizens have been called to jury duty. Nobody really wants to be on jury duty, as they all have better things to do with their lives, but, nonetheless, it is their duty. Most of the jurors believe this is an open and shut case; there can’t possibly be a way for this kid to be innocent, right? They start out with a vote, and all but one juror votes for guilty. And the story takes off from that point on, arguing terms like “reasonable doubt” and “a life at stake.”

At the beginning of the rehearsal process, we did a lot of character work. We all wrote a very specific character analysis, covering everything from our character’s religion to their life at home. Another huge part of this rehearsal process has been urgency. Being in a show that is almost fully dialogue, we have to constantly keep the urgency up. Otherwise, this show would get really boring, really fast. My character (Juror #8) is presenting the argument that maybe this boy isn’t guilty beyond a reasonable doubt. This lone juror is constantly battling for more support throughout the show, repeatedly pulling discarded facts out of nowhere, arguing with each juror, going back and forth, and never once losing a bit of her urgency and her need to make the other jurors understand her doubt. As the actor trying to become this character, urgency is something that I’ve had to work on quite a bit more than I’m used to, but it is a skill I hope I’ll never lose.

I can definitely say that my first teen show was a complete success. I’ve learned so many new skills during this show, and I’ve developed so many new friendships. Theatre has always been a passion of mine, and I’ve recently been having some doubts if I want to keep pursuing it. After this show, I’ve definitely decided to continue doing theatre. I really hope you all enjoy this show, as we’ve all put so much hard work and effort into it.


Libby Gens
Juror #8/Props Team


No comments:

Post a Comment