Sunday, February 25, 2018

The Jury Will Now Retire

We are sadly coming to an end to STC’s 2018 teen show, Twelve Angry Jurors. I have learned many new acting skills that I will continue to carry with me in future shows. I have enjoyed all of my time working with STC and playing the role of Juror #6! She’s a person who you would consider quiet and shy, but there are some moments in the show where she isn’t afraid to speak her mind. I’ve really had to think about how she would move and speak given the room she’s in and her circumstances.

At the beginning of the show, we find twelve jurors in different spots around the jury room and their making “small talk”. Eventually, they get to where they start talking about the case and what they have learned so far. Once everyone has sat down at the table, they decide that they should take a vote to see where they stand, (and to see if they can go home sooner). There are 11 votes guilty and 1 vote not guilty. All the jurors know who it is who voted not guilty. They begin to wonder why that person changed their mind. As the show goes on, people begin to question their thoughts towards the boy, who is accused of murdering his father. Some even begin to change their votes, while others stay true to what their first vote was. We also begin to take a closer look towards the evidence given and find that some pieces of evidence are inaccurate. Towards the end of the show, it starts to become clear what everyone's thoughts towards the boy and the case are. They might even come to an agreement and decide that the boy is… Well, I’m not going to spoil it for you.

You may think that the jury process is very confusing. Well, it is… but I think that this show helps you understand what it’s like to go through that process and really understand why you are being chosen to be apart of this process. Like I said earlier, I’ve really had to think about my characters circumstances are. In this show, you will notice that there are some more quiet characters and those characters, including my own, have had to think of the question, “Why are we here? What do we have to offer that others don’t have?” We’ve also worked a lot with tactics and objectives and how those relate to our character and how our character uses those tactics and objectives to overcome his/her obstacles.

Working with the set team has been amazing! We’ve been given the opportunity to make designs from the 1950’s. Though this show only takes place in a dull jury room, there is still a lot of detail that needs to go into each set design we build. This show has been an amazing experience for me and I can’t wait for future shows!


Madison DeLashmutt
Juror #6/Set Team

No comments:

Post a Comment