Saturday, June 11, 2016

"Like a mosaic"

There’s only one more week until tech, and all the sections of our show are stringing together very nicely. I am enjoying every part of this process, especially choreography. We’ve been focusing so much on honesty- being able to act and respond keeping in mind the circumstances and objectives of your character. I’ve never paid this much attention to that word until this production, and I feel it's making me a stronger performer.

In the show, I play the Bullfrog; a comedic, ukulele-playing fellow who gives Ugly a boost when he is feeling down about his unfortunate looks. The Bullfrog is the first person to whom the duckling may relate to, because he too knows what it’s like to walk through life looking unsightly. I’ve learned his humorous demeanor is really his way of distancing himself from reality: no one will come up to him and kiss him to reveal a handsome prince. When Ugly comes to know of this through the frog, I feel it’s one of the most open, honest moments of the scene, because the frog lets his guard down for once.

 The big number, “Warts and All”, sung by Ugly, The Bullfrog, and the ensemble holds the message: someone’s going to love you in spite of your flaws. It’s not only a way of assuring Ugly, but it’s also a much-needed boost for the Bullfrog- that one day someone will love him for who he is.

Putting this piece together has been a challenge, but it’s coming along great. Like our other songs, Cynthia Marten, the music director for this show first taught us the parts we had to sing. The rhythm of this piece and the long phrases we have to sing are probably the most difficult vocally. Once we got a handle on the singing, we learned choreography. Though I’m not a part of the ensemble’s dance for this song, I’ve watched them learn and practice the choreography numerous times in rehearsals. I was once asked to step in for someone absent. As I went through the dance I remember thinking: “The counts are fast-paced; if I’m not in sync with my partner it’ll pop out. Our ensemble has worked so hard in combining these two aspects, and they really bring the song to life.

In past musicals I have been in at STC, a popular adaptation of that story involuntarily had some impact on character development for me. Because the story of The Ugly Duckling has not been adapted in all aspects of the show, there is a lot more room for originality. For example, when I play The Bullfrog, I feel I don’t have to conform to anything. I can interpret the role freely, and I can see everyone's bringing their own, distinct touches to their roles. A great example of this is the geese squadron in “Wild Goose Chase”. Each actor is unique, and they come together like a mosaic. When I watch run throughs of the show, I always look forward to that part. It’s the specific things they do which make it so humorous, and honest.

This is going to be a really fun, honest, and original show!

Julie-Michelle Manohar

2 comments:

  1. I totally agree Julie-Michelle! This play is going to be so wonderfully honest. Thanks for the post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, yeah! I think we have also been extremely honest! Great post!

    ReplyDelete