Tuesday, June 7, 2016

Stereotypes


            When I first read the script for Honk Jr., I was very skeptical. I could tell that all the characters were very stereotypical, and I felt that the script was written simply with the idea in mind that “kids need to be able to understand this”. I was worried that this show was not going to be good. I was wrong. Instead, this may be one of the most honest shows I have ever been in.
            With the common story and characters, it is easy to fall into the stereotype of the character. But with the help of Kivan and fellow cast members we have all been striving to follow character objectives and to break the stereotypes. A great example of this is the wild goose chase scene. You can see all the clear objectives of the Geese and Ugly. This scene was far more emotional for me then I expected. Even though I knew what happened at the end of the scene, it still took me by surprise. The sudden change from COURAGEOUS to “We failed…” is perfect.
            We all need to strive to break stereotypes and think about our character. When we think of an objective, we need to think of all the little details behind it, for instance, Drake is a stuck up butt. Why? Because he is scared of being a dad. Why? He is afraid his reputation will get ruined. Why? Because he thinks he will mess up really bad and Ida will leave him. Why? All you need to do is keep asking the question “Why?” and suddenly you have not only broken the stereotype, but your character now has new objectives and a new reason to be were he/she is.


           
            -James VanDyk (Drake)

5 comments:

  1. Dude, great post! I feel we also have been breaking down the stereotypes. Oh, and thanks for the advice on asking, "Why"! I never thought of it that way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a perfect explanation of what is probably the biggest challenge we faced in Honk! You have been doing a beautiful job of rediscovering your character, and I think we will be able to achieve an honest version of this show!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This play was so difficult to break down, but we did it! Now it is a wonderful show. Thanks for a great post!

    ReplyDelete