Monday, September 19, 2016

Julia through the Wardrobe!


I really love the story The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe, and I was really excited when STC announced it as their fall play. I didn’t know the story behind it though. I thought it was just a cool story about 4 kids visiting their uncle, then discovering a magic world. But it turns out, their “uncle” wasn’t an uncle at all. He was a professor that lived in the country during the Blitz. The Pevensie didn’t know him at all, and their mother had just sent them off to live with a stranger to get them out of the dangers of London. That shows you how far people will go to protect their children. When we started staging our first scene, a montage, or a collection of short scenes, about the Blitz, it really hit me how hard this was on families. I started to understand more about the reasons behind the story, and I think it really helped us get in the world that the Pevensie children were living. I don’t think a lot of people understand how Narnia was such a place of happiness and peace for the children because home was the exact opposite. Narnia is an amazing place and I really think more people should know that. Even though Narnia isn’t all good, most of it is. There are really cool magical creatures that we wouldn’t get a chance to be anywhere else. In the two armies, everyone has their own creature that fits with their personality. Narnia seems like a really amazing place that everyone would love to visit, and what I think is even more amazing is that we get to. The Blitz wasn’t a happy place in time, but Narnia was. I’m learning a lot about both as the rehearsals go on. I love our first scene and I’m really excited to stage the rest of the play. I think as we go on we’ll keep learning more and more about the show and our characters.

3 comments:

  1. Nice post, this is very interesting! You said, "Even though Narnia isn't all good, most of it is." I think it is going to be really interesting to explore the increasing accuracy of this throughout the show. I think that there will be a very interesting contrast between Narnia before and after Aslan's arrival. I feel that the intensity and high stakes are prominent over joy in many of the characters, especially at the beginning and during the battle scenes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Julia! I love the way you've summarized what we have learned so far about the actual history. I felt like, for me at least, learning the background made this play feel so much more real. Great post, Julia!

    ReplyDelete