Monday, September 19, 2016

Lion, Witch, & Wardrobe


This is my second production with Story Theater Company. My first production was Honk Jr!,
which was a musical. That makes the Lion Witch and Wardrobe my first play to ever act in, and  I am excited for this experience. I’ve helped backstage with plays, and they seem a lot different than in musicals. So I am very excited to see what acting in a play is like. Acting in Story Theater Company is amazing. I’ve learned so much, and the friends I’ve made there are now my family, and the experiences I’ve encountered there, I have learned a lot from. I am so excited and thankful that I am a part of Lion Witch and Wardrobe.
Our very first rehearsal, we had a read through. We all were in a circle, and when it was our characters turn we would step out in the middle, and act/read our lines. This gave us a chance to see all the possibilities our story had for blocking, and we were able to get a good first picture of what Lion Witch and Wardrobe could turn into. With the read through, we can develop the pictures that we think of when we read the script, and then work with the blocking and directions are given to us in the script, and we can make it an honesty story.
The next rehearsal we had, we learned about all of our characters, and their history. By learning about our characters, we are able to better understand them, their circumstances and their objectives, so we can portray them well. With the dramaturgy, I was able to learn more about my character, before that, I never really knew what Wood Nymph’s (evil) did, much less was. With knowing what they are, I am able to put my circumstances, even though I may always be fighting in the witch's army, I still have to consider that I have to protect my tree and it’s surroundings- or else it will die. We also learned some stage combat. We learned how to stage punch and fall, and basic swordplay. It’s always important to know that in any stage combat, the victim is always in control of what is happening, that way nobody gets hurt.  
      Within the first rehearsals, we have already gotten a lot of work done. I am so proud of all the commitment that my peers have made, and all the progress that we have already done. I can't wait to see what Lion Witch and Wardrobe has ins tore for us. I believe this will truly be a great and honest play.

Anika Slowing
Witches's Army

2 comments:

  1. I also think Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe will be great! Good job on the post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so excited to see how this play will turn out! Thank you for a great blog post, Anica!

    ReplyDelete