Wednesday, September 7, 2016

Parker McIntosh

I have learned a couple things working on The Lion, The Witch, and The Wardrobe.  The first being it takes commitment to your role outside of theater as well.  In my case, when I was offered the role of the White Stag, ballet was mentioned.  Having no past ballet experience, I knew it was going to take more than just working while at the rehearsal space. It takes more than just committing while you are at the space.  Practice makes perfect, and in a show full of stage combat and fight scenes, practicing could save someone a few bruises.
The other lesson I’ve learned is you can never know too much about the play you are in, or the characters involved, even if they aren't yours.  Knowing more about your character makes things much easier when you are a part of ensemble.  Sometimes it’s easy to make an ensemble of many people all playing the same character, but that leads to things being rather boring and cliche.  In our show, everyone has their own specific creature to research, and we can all create our own personal versions of them.  We could have a group of kids all making the same angry, but where is the fun in that?  We have amazing creatures such as Ogres, Hags, Boggles, and Specters.  And it doesn’t just apply to the Witch’s army.  Aslan’s army has its variety of creatures as well: The Wood Nymphs (Flower, Oak, Wind, Fresh Water.), a Phoenix, Centaurs, and Minotaur.
Sure, you could always perform a show the way it was originally made, but I’m not sure I would want to see a show the same way more than once.   It’s the same old thing for the audience, and it’s too easy for the actors.  I think having a challenge creates a better experience.  It’s easy to stand and be the nasty White Witch who loves no one but herself, but digging past that, and finding the inside: her objectives, her circumstances, and finding out if maybe deep down she has some compassion for her followers. 

We are early on in the process, but I can already tell this is not a show I couldn’t miss seeing.


       Parker McIntosh.

1 comment:

  1. Parker, you put what I was thinking into words. This show is so fun! The research behind it all is fascinating, as I for one learned more about leopards than before. Great post!

    ReplyDelete